Constitution Services

Company Name Registration

Standard Statutes and Bylaws

Deeds and Notary Public Signature

Fiscal Registration and NIF Number

Mercantile Registry Inscription

Personalized Legal Support

Company Digital Certificate

Individualized Statutes and Bylaws

Opening of a Bank Account (PoA)

Support for Obtaining NIE Number

Fiscal Registration

Social Security Registration

Personalized Legal Support

Freelance Digital Certificate

Opening of a Bank Account (PoA)

Support for Obtaining NIE Number

Setting up a Company

Often the question is: Should I set up a company or, alternatively, run the business as a self-employed professional or individual entrepreneur? Here there several different things to be considered like risk, liability, image, costs, ownership, fiscal implications and more. It is therefore essential to get good advice regarding the alternatives and their implications.

When choosing for a company, it is important to choose the right type of legal structure for your purpose, and the constitution procedures will vary accordingly. Cheap standard constitutions may have limitations, while expensive elaborate constitutions may not be necessary. We will guide you transparently through the options and we will make sure that you get exactly what you need.

Setting up and running a company has more costs and administrative requirements attached, but on the other hand you are protected from possible personal liability claims and project a more solid image.

Setting up a Company
Starting as a Freelance

Starting as a Freelance

If the Freelance option is the most adequate one for you, the choice is between being an Independent Professional or an Independent Entrepreneur. This will largely depend on the type and scope of business activities that you intend to develop. Either way, liabilities are personal, taxes will be paid according to the personal income tax regime and the special social security scheme (RETA) applies.

The Freelance option is tied to your residency in Spain, meaning that you will either need a residency and working permit if you come from outside the European Union or a certificate of EU Community residency if you come from an EU member state.

Setting up as an independent operator is cheaper and faster than setting up a company. However, this does not mean that this is the best solution for your business needs and will need to be evaluated carefully.

Professional Associations

If you are going to be an Independent Professional, as defined by the categories for economic activities established by the tax authorities, you fall in one of two groups that are important to distinguish: 1) Regulated Professionals represented by Professional Associations and 2) Non-Regulated Professionals.

Regulated professionals are for example architects, lawyers, psychologists, doctors, pharmaceutics, veterinarians, economists, engineers and commercial agents. In order to be able to exercise as such, you need to be a member of the corresponding professional association. Each of them has its own rules for admission, membership, contributions to be paid and benefits. Some even take care of the social security contributions for their members.

Examples of Non-Regulated Professionals are computer programmers, designers, advertising agents, translators, teachers, insurance brokers, painters, make up artists and many more.

Professional Associations
Homologations - Translations

Homologations / Translations

In order to fulfill certain administrative requirements, your professional and academic qualifications may need to be homologated. For example, many Bar Associations and Professional Colleges will require this in order to admit you as a member. The complexity of this process will depend on if your profession is regulated or not within the EU and if your diplomas are recognized.

Individual governments of EU countries remain responsible for their education systems and are free to apply their own rules, including whether to recognize academic qualifications obtained elsewhere. You may therefore need to go through a national procedure to get your academic degree or diploma recognized in another EU country.

Translations may also be required, for instance if there are foreign shareholders involved. Spanish authorities may request sworn translations of certain documents or shareholders may request bilingual deeds. For information purposes, a normal translation may be enough, but for formal transactions and procedures an official sworn translation will be required.

Ready to talk?

Let’s Talk Now